We are looking for an individual that enjoys inputting and checking figures, and keeping track of a complicated multi-activity operation that is dedicated to making the world a better place. We do so many things that shake the status quo, but we can't do anything without someone who really cares and keeps us on our toes and accountable to the penny.
This opportunity arises with the retirement of our superstar bookkeeper after thirty plus years. We would dearly love to find someone who cared as much and who loved keeping our world in perfect order just as much as she has for all these years. If this sounds like you, we'd love to hear from you.
Richard Logan, Board President
POSITION OPEN – BOOKKEEPER/TEAM MEMBER
Title: BOOKKEEPER/TEAM MEMBER
Supervisor: Board President
Status: Full-time, Salaried, Exempt
Date: July 2018
The Reva and David Logan Foundation is a Chicago-based family foundation that provides strategic grants to support the arts, investigative journalism, scholarship, and social justice. With headquarters in Chicago, the foundation funds projects in the United States and worldwide. More information can be found at www.loganfdn.org.
The Reva and David Logan Foundation seeks a highly motivated, resourceful self-starter who enjoys meticulous and precise tracking of financial accounts to join its small staff as a full-time Bookkeeper/Team Member (Bookkeeper). This position provides critical support to all of the Foundation's accounting and daily office activities. The Bookkeeper will also be one of the faces of the foundation and must have an interest to learn about all the Foundation’s program areas. As Bookkeeper, they will report directly to the Board President and will also work with the Board of Directors.
Bookkeeping and Accounting (70%)
• Verify, allocate, and post details of financial transactions to QuickBooks
• Accounts payable management which includes check runs, ACH and wire payments, vendor invoices for payment, and grant disbursements
• Reconcile accounts to the General Ledger/Trial Balance monthly. Reconciliation activities include grant payments, petty cash, bank statements, investments and share portfolio
• Generate monthly statements and other reports
• Review time sheets to ensure accuracy and manage semi-monthly payroll processing
• Maintain expense spreadsheets of vendor, employee and board directors
• Securities tracking and recording
• Fixed asset and capital expense tracking
• Assist accountants with preparation of yearly 990 and Financial Statements
• Assist Board Treasurer with preparation of Treasurer’s Report for quarterly board meetings
• Ensure compliance with generally accepted accounting principles and organization’s policies, procedures and contracts
• Support grantees with finance/accounting consulting
Team Member / Additional Shared Responsibilities (30%)
• Perform some day-to-day operations such as mailing and shipping, and ordering/maintaining office supplies
• Update and maintain insurance policies, vendor contracts, and Foundation memberships
• Serve as primary phone and reception contact for the office ensuring quality customer service among external contacts and staff
• Assist with scheduling quarterly board meetings, luncheon coordination, logistics and material preparation
• Act as representative of the Foundation to grantees and external partners
• Special projects as assigned
• This position is part of a small office staff where all are expected to pitch-in and support the day-to-day operations.
• This position operates primarily in an office environment that is accessible. Some work at off-site locations may be required, and those may not necessarily be fully accessible. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, scanners, filing cabinets, and fax machines. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must frequently lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 40 pounds.
• This position normally requires attendance during 9am to 5pm, Monday through Friday office hours.
• This work place is a smoke- and drug-free environment.
• A valid driver’s license is helpful.
• The Reva and David Logan Foundation is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ qualified individuals based on individual merit. The Foundation does not discriminate against any individual with respect to the terms and conditions of employment based on that individual’s race, sex, age, religion, color, national origin, disability, genetic information, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, housing status, or any other non-merit factor protected under state, local or federal laws. Equal Employment Opportunity applies to all personnel actions such as recruiting, hiring, compensation, benefits, promotions, training, transfer, termination, and opportunities for training. The Foundation is committed to a fair and equitable workplace where everyone is a respected and valued member of the team.
• Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent experience)
• 5+ years of experience in relevant employment
• Knowledge of Foundation and Non-Profit accounting practices a plus
• Advanced computer skills with MS Office suite and QuickBooks required
• Mac familiarity (or ability to quickly learn) required
• Flexibility and ability to work well independently, as well as part of a team, in a fast-paced environment.
• Professional demeanor, ability to interact effectively with donors, grant seekers, Board directors, and staff
• Ability to successfully organize, analyze, summarize, and retain a large volume of detailed information
• Ability to negotiate effectively
• Spanish-speaking or knowledge of other languages a plus
• Starting salary is in and around $60,000 and is dependent on qualifications and experience.
• Benefits include employer-paid health, dental, and vision insurance and generous paid leave.
• Please submit cover letter, resume, and salary requirement to email@example.com with the subject line re: “your last name, first name.” Please indicate where you learned of the position opening.
• Position begins as soon as possible. No phone calls please.
Social Justice, Scholarship, the Arts and Investigative Journalism